UPDATE: we've made the plugin theme agnostic. Scroll down to get a non-Genesis version of the plugin.
There were many comments on the recent post Google Proves Not Being On Social Media Will Kill Your SEO and on Twitter about how to implement the rel=”author” link tag on a blog. I followed the tutorial from Yoast which you can find here. But we've taken it a step further – we got our WordPress team at 9Seeds to create a little plugin for everyone.
If you're using the Genesis WordPress theme then you can download our free Author Box Rel plugin. What this plugin does is:
- Add a field to your WordPress user profile for your Google+ profile URL
- Turns your name in the author box into a link to your Google+ profile
- Adds the rel=”author” tag to the link
If you don't use the Genesis theme we have you covered. Download the Author Box Rel plugin for non-Genesis themes here >>
Here's what your author box will look like once you install and activate the plugin, and add your Google+ profile URL:
What This Means For You
First off to ensure you get full credit for authorship you need to do the following:
- Have a Google+ profile (here's an invite if you aren't already there)
- Link to your blog in your Google+ profile
- Use this plugin and link back to your Google+ profile
Doing those three steps creates a circular reference between Google+ and your blog, and indicates to Google that you are the author of the content. How do they know for sure? I think the (thousands) of Google engineers are smarter than the ****ing spammers that try to steal your original content by scraping your site.
Whether you have a single author or a multi-author blog you can install this plugin and ensure that you and all of your fellow authors get credit in Google's eyes for authoring the content.
Step-By-Step Install Instructions
Here's how to do all of this:
Step 1: Add A Link To Your Blog on Google+
- Go to your Google+ profile
- Click “Edit Profile”
- Click on the Links section on the right hand side
- Click “Add custom link” if your blog isn't already there
- Add the name and the URL of the link (to your blog)
- Hit the enter key to save it
Step 2: Install The Rel=”Author” Plugin (Genesis Users Only)
- Download and install the rel=”author” plugin we've created for you
- Edit your WordPress user profile
- Add the link to your Google+ profile
- Save your profile
Note: the plugin automatically adds the author box below your blog post and above the comment section so you don't have to worry about selecting the author box to show in your profile.
And that's it!
Hammering Home The Point
I can't stress enough for the security of your content and keeping up with the merge of social media and SEO how important it is for you to do this. The integration is underway and will only get tighter as time goes on. Be ahead of the curve and your competition and implement this today.