From Perry Marshall's new book, “80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More“:
- No cold calling. Ever. You should attempt to sell only to warm leads.
- Before you try to sell anything, you must know how much you're willing to pay to get a new customer.
- A prospect who “finds” you first is more likely buy from you than if you find him.
- You will dramatically enhance your credibility as a salesperson by authoring, speaking, and publishing quality information.
- Generate leads with information about solving problems, not information about the product itself.
- You can attain the best negotiating position with customers only when your marketing generates “deal flow” that exceeds your capacity.
- The most valuable asset you can own is a well-maintained customer database, because people who've already bought from you are way easier to sell to than strangers.
Definitely rules every salesperson should live by.